2

What We Ate For Dinner Tonight; Mango and Quinoa Salad

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I have made versions of this salad several times, and tonight it was so yummy I decided to share it.
Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, and they are especially delicious this time of year.
Ever since we got married and Jason was gluten-free, (I have meaning to post more on that 'was'),  I have loved experimenting with different grains other than rice since other carbs were out of the question, and Quinoa remains my favorite.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of my salad, but it looked like this minus the black beans, but only because we had none available.



Mango & Quinoa Salad
1 cup Quinoa
13/4 cups Vegetable Stock
Mango, diced
Red Bell Pepper, diced
Fresh Cilantro
Cumin
Half a Lemon
Olive Oil

1. Cook Quinoa according to directions, (or google it like me)
    For best taste substitute vegetable stock in place of water.
2. While Quinoa is simmering, Prepare the mango by dicing it.  If you are anything like me cutting a mango is confusing, so go ahead and laugh,  but i watched this video on youtube and now I feel like a pro.  Dice the red bell pepper (I used about half), and chop the fresh cilantro.
3.  Once the quinoa is done cooking, fluff with a fork and mix in the mango, pepper, and cilantro.
4.  Squeeze the lemon over salad and pour a dash of olive oil in and mix as a dressing.
5.  Season with Cumin, Salt & Pepper to taste.

I love this easy summer salad, it tastes fresh and is so healthy too!




On a side note, me and Jason went to Ben & Jerry's in the Gateway to get our free cones and picked up this little guy in Urban Outfitters...

Maybe someday I can put him in a collage kinda like this?



And then we came home to the cat walking around wearing this bag on like a cape,
....
???

Discussion

  1. Your cat just made my day. Seriously laughing. Also, I am definitely going to try that salad. I have a box of quinoa just waiting to be used, but I wasn't sure what to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha the cat! i wanna come see your place so bad!

    ReplyDelete